Friday, February 19, 2010

2.10.10

Classes have most definitely begun. “Thank god” you should say, because now hopefully my posts will be significantly shorter, though unfortunately no more coherent.

Today we discussed the culture of Cuba and the Cubans perseverance during these years with the embargo. Some times have been harder than others. I should write more about the embargo later when it is not so late, and I can think more clearly. We talked about how when my professor was young, she had to bike over an hour to and from work. There are very few bicycles in Cuba these days. I think the last supply of bikes were old fashioned and poorly made ones from China. Our teacher suggested they were very bad for health and resulted in men with prostrate problems. No wonder they are no longer popular.
I got lunch for less than a dollar and then this afternoon I had my first Marine Bio introduction. We met at the center (very close to ‘home’) and discussed the logistics of diving lessons- training in the pool, then moving to the beach practically off the Malecón, then some day long excursions. I was told my classes could be as difficult as I wanted- I told them I want them difficult (so long as they are difficult in English). My syllabus indicates that I have several different professors and will learn about a variety of topics from microalgas to sea turtles, mangrove systems, to coral reefs, and conservation. I can’t wait! Katie gets to dive with me, as she will also be my transportation for our excursions. So, her job pretty much rocks in both of our minds. Katie and I got out pretty early and so we went to get some laundry supplies. In Spanish class today we were told an expression about Cuba. Translated, it means: ‘this is Cuba: don’t have any prior expectations’. That could not be more true, too late. Because we are living in a hotel, the laundry service charges are through the roof, which is several stories high. And because when we ask for a lavandería (hopefully a less sketchy one than the one found in Costa Rica) the locals just shake their heads in rejection of the proposal, we are going to do it by hand. Our finds: two large buckets, some balloon ribbon for a clothesline and bobby pins for clips. The laundry is out to dry, results due in tomorrow.

Ps a quick rant- it is so annoying to have to boil all of our water! And even more annoying is when the water that I have boiled mysteriously disappears in the night and I’m left with none in the morning when I roll out of bed. Any suggestions, Holmes?
Feelings: tired, nerdy, thirsty

1 comment:

  1. Hey Hill,
    I finally got myself over to your blog and now am enjoying catching up on your adventures in fast-forward! Cuba sounds SO interesting. Cuba sounds both different and similar to Uganda, in different ways. I’m going to be so interested to compare experiences with you when we get back! I totally hear you about boiling the water…it’s a pain, and it doesn’t even taste good (at least ours doesn’t…), and roommates do have a tendency to drink it all. Man. Also, amen about the laundry. I am going to be SO grateful for my washing machine when I get home. OK, I’m going to keep reading now. Sorry for the flood of comments you are probably going to get from me!

    ReplyDelete