Wednesday, February 17, 2010

2.4.10

Now that classes have started, there has been less time to blog. I was placed in advanced Spanish, which was nice. The four of us all got assigned that level, so it will be good to do homework together some nights. The class has about 14 students in it from Japan, Italy, the US (Princeton), Germany, Algeria, England and Canada. There are a variety of ages in the class, 20 being the youngest. Anyway, we were all saying our names and where we were from and the teacher asked how old I was because you had to be 18 to be in the class. I got super red and told her I was 20, which drew some laughs. THEN she says, oh! 20, I thought you were more like 12 or 15. Later the same day this guy we see around the neighborhood came over to say hello and gave the other girls a kiss on the cheek and me one on the forehead. Then he asked whose daughter I was, anyway. My life!
But in any case we have now had a couple days of Spanish class and though my brain is fried after, they are fun and I think/hope they are helpful. We’ve also been cooking for really cheap, so I can now make a pretty good medley of things, or at least enough to get by on.
The last update I have is on a really neat experience we had yesterday. A few days ago we met a professional Cuban boxer who was working his second job as security at a club. He invited us to see him box and we decided to go. It was so cool! His class was a wide distribution of ages, from 5 to 35 or so. It was so interesting to watch them learn the sport. We had a really good time and hope to go to one of his matches.

3 comments:

  1. When a foreign man asks you how old you are, the appropriate response is "How old do you want me to be?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you added that second comment! No one is asking. they are just making assumptions. I'll keep your advice for the future though, just in case

    ReplyDelete